Monday, September 08, 2014

I Was To Write About Love

As part of the Marathon Bloggers group on Facebook, I was to write on the topic of Love owing to  the fact that it was Valentine's Day week/month. Firstly, I had to set aside a mind-block I have about such commercialized days which only benefits the Archie's of the world, before I could sit down to write this.

Love to me is a very complex emotion. An emotion that I am constantly unearthing in myself and defining as I travel through this life. For a very long time, I was in love with the concept of being in love and so it was easy to think I was in love over and over again, with family, with friends, with people I had just met and so on.

Over the years though, I know one thing for sure, I know how to figure out if I love someone. I know I love someone when I feel the intense need to protect them even when I am angry with them. This holds good for any relationship - as a mother, as a friend, as a daughter, as a partner, as a niece and as a sister.

If that's the case, what emotion would be the opposite of love? I asked myself...
My answer - it is pure indifference. I know I do not love someone when there is a complete lack of empathy on my part towards the other person regardless of situations and circumstances. Followed by no guilt when I feel this way (or rather don't feel).

So, well when I started, I was to write about love but here I am understanding love by learning what love is not. As the journey continues, the definition of love for me will either get more pronounced, redefined or blurred. When I am really old and grey, may be the definition will not matter, may be the fact that I have been loved and have loved will be my definition of love. Until then this is it!


4 comments:

  1. Achieving pure indifference is so MUCH harder than loving or hating someone, eh? Its a state of nirvana, to not let anyone affect you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True... but it's not about not letting "anyone" affect you but about not letting "someone" who you once loved affect you. :) And yes, I am hoping to reach a state of Nirvana, every moment of every single day of my life ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to achieve indifference someday! I attach some emotion to everything around me and it does take a huge toll on my sanity :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abhishek: What you need is a meditative state of mind and like Aparna (Cuckoo) mentioned, that would be plain Nirvana :)

    ReplyDelete